|Getting setup for the 1st round. 8000 points worth of fleets across 5 tables!|
I initially just kind of floated the idea of this event on a whim. I really wasn't sure how many folks would want to spend a long day playing extra-large Armada games. We ended up with 10 players, several of drove in from 3 hours away. I believe we had 6 Imperials to 4 Rebels with lots of ISDs everywhere.
We knew it would be a long day, so I got things going as quickly as I could and decided on a 3 hour round limit.
As I said in this post, I hadn't actually tried an 800 point game. So these would be learning experiences for me. I would say about half of the players there had played some 800 point games to try it out before the event.
|This was actually my very first game using Fleet Ambush.|
You can see our deployments in the above picture.
|End of Turn 1. Chaos!|
|End of Turn 2.|
|End of Turn 3|
|End of the Game.|
We both had a blast with the game and it was just impressive the amount of shots flying around.
|Setup for Round 2.|
Cory deployed his ISDs in two groups of 3. This made a ton of sense as otherwise, they would really just get in each others way too much. Of course, this made my choices pretty easy as I could focus on fighting one group at a time. Cory took first player and chose to play my Dangerous Territory.
|End of Round 1|
He worked to speed up his ISDs on my left and slow down those on my right. He made a mistake with his dials on his IF! ship though and it got out in front of the rest of his fleet on my right.
|End of Round 2|
|End of Round 3|
He then took hi shot and rolled 6 red dice thanks to Con Fire. 2 Accuracies, 2 doubles, and 2 single hits. Followed up with a ram meant a dead 75 that didn't even get to shoot....
Oops. Still probably the right call on my part, but that was a bummer as the 75 had the potential to throw some crazy damage had it lived.
The rest of the turn I worked to make up the damage lost and dropped 1 ISD while beating up some others.
I apparently neglected to get pictures during turns 4 and 5, but essentially it involved my squadrons whiffing repeatedly, while the rest of my fleet pounded away with Turbolasers. Home One meant that for the majority of the game he never got to use his Brace tokens.
|End of the Game|
He chose to be second player and I decided to play his Most Wanted. Gus had a Sloane fleet with the full 200 points of squads including Phantoms!
|End of Round 1|
|End of Round 2|
My YTs were doing a good job churning away at his squads, but by my being dumb, they still got a good run at my MC-80 and I lost it as well.
|Just about the end|
He won 7-4. Gus played a really solid game and made me pay for all of my mistakes, while making few of his own. I stupidly spread out my firepower way too much and wasn't able to do the damage to those ISDs that I should have.
Gus ended up the winner with 21 points and I was right behind at 20.
There were lots of 6-5 results on the day, some because of games going to time and others just because so much was dying.
Overall though I really enjoyed the 800 point format. It's just great having that many ships on the table.
- I finished all of my games in the 3 hour window, but generally 3 of the 5 games each round had to be called early. I am not sure what you can do about that. Longer rounds but only 2 would be an option, but I'm not sure people would make the drive for just 2 games. I think with practice the games could go faster.
- The fact that I hadn't played this fleet before definitely hurt. I made many "Turn 0" mistakes. Ackbar let me brute force my way out of most of them. I would highly recommend figuring out a strong deployment plan for your Sector Fleet games.
- Holy cow was Home One + Intensify Firepower! an effective combo. So much dice fixing!
- I also hadn't really played YT-2400s in forever. They were a great choice as they were so flexible. I'd forgotten how strong they can be.
- I did end up being really happy with my fleet overall. I'll tweak it some but probably play it again the next time we have an 800 point event.
- Everyone seemed to be having a good time too. I imagine we will have another 800 point event when the SSD drops.